[Web4lib] web 2.0 havoc

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Tue Oct 13 17:53:15 EDT 2009

I've recently been trying to have other members of our staff be
empowered to add web content on a more regular basis through several
formats.  I run into issues not only of remaining cohesive, as you
suggest, but also being sure they know what it means to speak for the
library.

For whatever it's worth, *examples* ("do this, not this" especially)
seem to work best.  They use them as mental templates for how to "talk"
to the public via the web.  Also, having available to all any standard
clip art/logos, etc. that they might use for "look and feel" purposes
can be handy.  A standard vocabulary, as well - such as what jargon to
use/not use (e.g. are they "patrons" or "users" or "customers") can help
the 'one voice' idea enormously.

No idea if this is helpful.  Good luck - I think you're being very
deliberate and thoughtful in even asking this question, which is
impressive!

Louise E. Alcorn
Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library