[Web4lib] Cost per search

Alexandria Arnold aarnold at summitlibrary.org
Fri Oct 9 07:45:02 EDT 2009

As budgets get tighter, we need to look critically at the cost of our databases compared to their usage. I'm interested in knowing what kind of cost per search other libraries - mainly public, as databases hold a different place in the mission of academic libraries -expect to see.

When we divide the number of searches by the cost of the database, we get costs ranging from under $1.00 per search to almost $30 per search.  I don't know if these are good numbers or bad. We also have databases on consumer topics, financial topics, etc. Should we have different criteria for different kinds of databases?

We'll be taking many factors into consideration as we make decisions to retain or cancel database, but I'd like to put this information in context. I'd appreciate knowing what other libraries look for, or any studies anyone knows of - or the right search terms for the web4lib archives, if this has been discussed before <g>.

Thanks!

Alexandria Arnold
Assistant Director
Summit Free Public Library, NJ