[Web4lib] Using DOM scripting to show/hide Meebo widget based on login status

Jonathan Bloy JBloy at edgewood.edu
Wed Oct 7 10:11:47 EDT 2009

Thomas Cox wrote:
> We are considering adding the Meebo widget to the pages of our library
> website.  We are concerned, however, about off-hours time when a
> librarian is not logged on.  I'd like to perform some DOM scripting such
> that if a librarian is not logged on, we hide the widget.  Does anyone
> know if the Meebo widget exposes the login status?   Has anyone done
> this?

We were using the Meebo widget for a while.  Meebo does display the logon status, however when you are offline, it still allows a patron to send a message, which you will see the next time you log in.  The problem is, if the patron doesn't leave an email address or a way for you to contact them, there is no way to respond.  Because of this issue, and come connectivity problems, we switched to the AIM widget.
http://wimzi.aim.com/

If you are offline, the AIM widget does not allow the patrons to send a message.  You can also set up a custom offline message patrons will see when you are not logged in.  It's been working well for us.

--
Jonathan Bloy
Web Services Librarian