[Web4lib] LibGuides modules

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 5 12:44:11 EDT 2009

Brandy Bourne wrote:
> Our library is just subscribing to LibGuides, so I was glad for last week's
> examples and tips thread.
> I'm wondering about the two optional modules: 1) Custom domain
> mapping/branding    2) Direct image upload/hosting and XML content
> downloads.
> I was a little surprised, after going through the promotional materials, to
> find that these were not included in the subscription price.  They aren't
> especially expensive, but in these tough budgetary times, every little bit
> has to be argued for.  Are these modules essential?  I'd appreciate any
> input.
Neither one is essential but both  are very useful.

The custom domain mapping/branding module allows you to specify a url
for your LibGuides such as "http://guides.library.cornell.edu" and use
it for a Google site search (i.e. biomedical
site:guides.library.cornell.edu)

I am not familiar with what, exactly, "Direct Image Uploading" means but
see a previous post in the thread about how the XML Content downloads
can be really useful.

Our libraries subscribed to LibGuides before the second module was
available and I was told that a complete XML dump of all of our guides
would be made available if we ever unsubscribed (or SpringShare went out
of business).  Whether or not the XML content dump is available without
this module should you decide that LibGuides is not working for you
could be very important to help migrate the content being hosted with
this external service.