[Web4lib] [english 100%] [unknown language 98%] Information Technology Procedures Manual

Robin Boulton robin at stcharleslibrary.org
Fri Nov 13 10:13:13 EST 2009

I agree with all those points (although I'm reliably informed that if you
are in an Active Directory environment and the system password were not set
up correctly to begin with, it might be virtually impossible to change them
now without horrendous consequences).

We are a small IT group (two 1/2 people). We all have access to all the
passwords, which we keep in a Word file (with a name that cunningly avoids
any reference to passwords or security issues) in a network folder that most
staff are not even aware of. Even if they stumbled over it we don't
specifically say that there are passwords; there's just the name of a system
(gobbled-gook to anyone but us), some vague nonsense notes, and the related
password. We have it all in a Word document, in a table that separates the
three elements so it's clear to us but pretty nonsensical to anybody else
(except a real hacker, and if one of those gets that far we're hell-bound
anyway).

The big conflict we have going on right now is that I want documentation of
what machine - physical and virtual - is where, what is does, how to deal
with it if there's a problem, etc. The guy who reports to me is our network
genius and he has totally re-designed the system to the point where I no
longer understand much of anything - it's now a much better system that I
don't comprehend! - and he would rather eat pins than document anything, so
I'm having to squeeze it from him a drop at a time, like blood from the
hardest granite, but I'll get it out of him sooner or later. Maybe I'll send
him to Gitmo for a while before they shut it down!

Hope this helps - and I hope others respond; this could be a very useful and
thought-provoking discussion.

Robin

Robin Boulton
IT Manager