[Web4lib] [Publib] Library Jobs

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Thu Nov 5 14:52:04 EST 2009

I had several questions about the geo-locator results here:

http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/libraries/library-jobs.htm

The geo-locator auto detects the location from the data in the title of the
feed entry. The mapping takes longer because of the non-standard titles
because is trying to resolve locations with insufficient data. It works best
if the entry title is in this standard format:

10/28/2009-Librarian I--Children's Services, Suffolk Public Library System,
Suffolk, Virginia

- where you have date followed by title followed by location with city,
state

This does not work as well for a title:

Town Librarian - Fairfield Public Library

Many of the feeds are written with the idea that everyone would know that
the name Middletown means the one in their state.

Robert L. Balliot

Skype: RBalliot

Bristol, Rhode Island

http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/contact.htm