[Web4lib] AdRotator ideas and or examples

Alex Smith smith48 at sonoma.edu
Thu Nov 5 11:18:18 EST 2009

Lee,
Some food for thought with jQuery cycle in a PHP/MySQL environment:
We are currently using jQuery cycle for the slideshow on our homepage. I
made a backend with MySQL which allows us to easily insert/delete slides
as we choose. Using the MySQL backend also allows you to take the data
from MySQL and insert it into a <noscript> tag so that if a user has no
javascript a static slide will display at random.
I entirely agree with the bloated aspect. For our upcoming site redesign
I made a custom jQuery slideshow which cut a total of ~20K out of the
overhead. We will be utilizing the MySQL database to not only display
the slideshow but to also store/re-purpose the data into the RSS feed of
the slideshow/related news.
Best Regards,
-alex

Alex Smith