[Web4lib] AdRotator ideas and or examples

Kozlowski,Brendon bkozlowski at sals.edu
Tue Nov 3 16:53:29 EST 2009

I'm currently using a Flash slideshow script to rotate between different images on our site.  It was intended to do exactly what you want to do.  We are instead primarily showcasing the different services or service desks we offer.  The script we are using is called Monoslideshow(.com).  It's not free, but the fee is minimal - it runs off an XML configuration file.  I have it setup so that if the user does not have JavaScript/Flash enabled, they still see an image placeholder with a link to our event calendar. (sspl.org)

There are also JavaScript based slideshow/gallery scripts that offer similar functionality, and I actually intend to move to one from this (JavaScript is printable, Flash is not - and it works on more devices).  I just haven't found a JavaScript version that I'm completely happy with.  I may roll my own.

To get you started, here's an example of one I like, but is simply missing one feature I want:
http://www.serie3.info/s3slider/demonstration.html <http://www.serie3.info/s3slider/demonstration.html>
This runs directly off the HTML markup already contained in your page, and therefore more accessibility-friendly.

Brendon Kozlowski
Web Administrator
Saratoga Springs Public Library
49 Henry Street