[Web4lib] Download text from Google books

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Fri May 29 10:57:27 EDT 2009

It would appear, from a quick look over Google Books, that you must
differentiate between "Limited preview" books and "full view" books.

For limited preview books, no text is presented, only page images. In
fact, Google may not have OCRed the books yet, so they have no text to
present. Your only option is to OCR the image (or retype it).

For full view books, you can view in text mode, then select all, then
copy, then paste into Notepad (for instance), then find the part you want.
Still not easy.

On Fri, 29 May 2009, Kevil, L H. wrote:

> We've got a new problem: how to download text from Google books. We're
> talking about small amounts of text, which would be  covered by academic
> fair use.
>

> All the suggestions we have retrieved  - by googling, of course - have
> not panned out, including Google book downloader. Saving pages as
> graphics and then OCRing them hasn't worked either. Our OCR software is
> not very functional.
>

> Any suggestions would be most welcome. TIA,
>

> Hunter
>

> L. Hunter Kevil, Ph.D.
> Collection Development Librarian
> University of Missouri
> Columbia, MO 65201
> 573-884-8760
> kevill at missouri.edu

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com
 street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                 10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                 Portland, OR  97223  USA