[Web4lib] Alternative EZproxy setup

Cloutman, David DCloutman at co.marin.ca.us
Wed May 27 15:21:52 EDT 2009

It is important to understand that a proxy server is generally not used
to host your web pages, and the provision of that service is not
necessarily related to who will host your proxy server, unless both
processes are run on the same hardware.

A proxy server is used to redirect network traffic and to pass it
through a specific computer (or group of computers in some cases), and
redirect it somewhere else. This has the effect of making it appear that
requests given to the proxy server are coming from the proxy server
itself, rather than the computers that are passing the requests to the
proxy server.

In our case, how this works is that when we code our database pages to
point to one of our database providers, we give the end user a URL that
directs to our proxy server. Encoded in that URL is information that
tells the proxy server where to send the traffic. Thus, on our web
pages, instead of using.

we use

where ourproxyserver.lib.ca.us is the domain name of our proxy server.
Once the user clicks on the link, all the traffic that would have gone
to www.databaseprovider.com instead goes to ourproxyserver.lib.ca.us,
which then sends it to www.databaseprovider.com. At that point the
traffic no longer goes to our web server, however the database directory
pages of our web site are  still be hosted on our current web server.

Hypothetically the proxy server in this arrangement could be physically
located anywhere. However, if your plan is to authenticate against your
catalog login for the purpose of logging in to the databases, the most
sensible arrangement is to place the proxy server in the same DMZ as
your ILL server.

---
David Cloutman <dcloutman at co.marin.ca.us>
Electronic Services Librarian