[Web4lib] ISO recommendations for video workstation

T Mac terrannews at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 10:31:38 EDT 2009

>>We want to put together a PC-based video workstation (dv-dvd-vhs-cd) and
would greatly appreciate any suggestions.<<

Sorry, I'm just catching up with my emails so you may have already made your purchases, but although I'm a relative newbie to video editing, I've been using a PC to edit with Adobe Premiere, Adobe Media Encoder, and Audacity and haven't had any problems.

Your setup will depend on how professional you want to go, but if you're looking for something that will mainly be used to create short videos for youtube, vodcasts, etc. then just about any new PC will do and you don't necessarily need to spend a lot of money getting a top of the line machine (or a Mac). For instance, I just saw that BestBuy.com has a Compaq desktop on special for around $350 that is better than the machine I'm using to edit at work!

Look for something with at least 3 or 4 GB of RAM, a dual-core processor, and a good-sized hard drive (not a bad idea to get a large external back-up drive as well). If you get a DVD burner with LightScribe labeling, that's a handy feature, too - the LightScribe discs cost more, but the end product looks great and you don't have to deal with any messy and unprofessional-looking labels.

If you're working with inexpensive video cameras that save in compressed .avi files (like Flip Ultras or Creative Labs Vados), you can just use their built-in USB connections and not have to worry about having a Firewire card. If you only occasionally have to import video from a camcorder that uses videotapes (or for some other reason doesn't play well with USB) then you should be able to use an external adapter/converter such as this without having to install a Firewire card:

http://www.amazon.com/USB2800D-Maker-Edit-Burn-Encoding/dp/B000234SMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242309362&sr=8-1

My only hiccup when editing the .avi files from a Flip Ultra (which uses the 3ivx codec) was that I have had to run them through Adobe Media Encoder (or something similar) first - I'm not sure if there is a way to get around that, but Premiere doesn't seem to be able to edit files saved that way. I just run them through the Media Encoder and save them as something that Premiere can work with (for example, as H.264 format .mp4 files).

Feel free to email me off-list if you have any specific questions about my PC editing experiences so far.

Terran McCanna
Electronic Services Librarian
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Terran.McCanna at erau.edu