[Web4lib] ISO recommendations for video workstation configuration

Robert Sullivan robert.g.sullivan at gmail.com
Wed May 13 14:11:02 EDT 2009

> Thanks.  I think we'll end up with at least one Mac eventually, but since we're a PC campus, there is still a lot of feeling that we should initially implement a more robust PC-based video workstation.
>
> If we went with Premiere for editing, is there a compatible and excellent PC-based burning software anyone can recommend?

We went through this last year.  We had been using a Mac system for
several years (because that's what the other county department which
does video editing used, although they later switched to Windows) but
moved over to Windows since that's our primary platform.

I bought from MPC because our consortium used them, but any reliable
brand would be OK.  The specs were:

* Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.67GHz with 4GB RAM (only sees 3.25GB since
it's running XP)
* Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 with 512MB RAM
* 2 150GB Western Digital Raptor drives running at 10,000 rpm

We're using Premiere Pro CS3 with Nero for burning.  Faster processors
were available, but we chose to spend the money on a good video card
and two fast drives (this application really benefits from those).  We
also got a 5.1 sound system (Creative Inspire T6100).

We use our existing Panasonic AG-DVC-80 digital video camera to record
programs to MiniDV tapes, and a JVC SR-VS30 deck to transfer to the PC
(and save wear and tear on the camera).  Back in the day, our camera
was the low end of Panasonic's industrial-grade line, and we hope to
replace with a model which can do HD.

We do not currently put any of our programs on our Web site, but someday...

We do not currently run Vista but in 2009 I would go for the 64-bit
version and 8GB of memory, probably from OCZ (if the gamers like it, I
would choose it for video editing).  I doubt we will be upgrading
before Windows 7 comes out.

Finally, if you plan to archive your originals you will need some
place to put them all; we are consuming disk space at about 15GB per
week so we will probably get a couple of 1TB drives.  I like Western
Digital's basic model, which may be found as low as $100.

--
Bob Sullivan
Schenectady Digital History Archive