[Web4lib] Tech Topics - Online Classes

Christine Peterson peterson at amigos.org
Mon May 11 23:35:12 EDT 2009

Time to catch up with some of the current trends -- spend a few hours
with us and figure out:

*         What cloud computing is

*         How to use Flickr for your library

*         How you can create documents on the web instead of installing
software

*         What RFID is and how it works

*         Quick and easy ways to get started with open source software

All times below are Central Time.

Tech Topics: Saving to the Cloud
<http://www.amigos.org/learning/catalog/shopping/product_details.php?id=
288>  (Registration closes May 18)

May 21, 1:00pm-3:00pm

Wouldn't it be wonderful to get to your files no matter where you were?
You now can! You can save files "to the cloud" and, as long as you have
Internet access, you should be able to access them. Cloud storage is one
of the newer technologies that could make your life a whole lot easier!

Just Do It: Using Flickr to Save Photos
<http://www.amigos.org/learning/catalog/shopping/product_details.php?id=
290>

June 4-5, 10:30am - 12:30pm

Flickr is the most popular photo-sharing site currently on the web. They
provide storage for photos, drawings, and some short videos -- both free
and for a price. We'll delve into Flickr, learning how to upload your
own photos (singly and in batch), how to tag and describe them, to
create sets and collections, to annotate photos, to share with everyone
or just friends or with a group. Lastly, we'll see how you can use your
photos at Flickr on your website.

Tech Topics: Office Applications on the Web
<http://www.amigos.org/learning/catalog/shopping/product_details.php?id=
291>

June 17, 10:30am - 12:30pm

More and more services which were originally available only on your
desktop computer are now becoming available on the web. Office
applications is one of these services. We'll look at the various word
processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software already available
via the web -- primarily at no cost to you -- and try to ferret out the
differences between them.

Tech Topics: RFID
<http://www.amigos.org/learning/catalog/shopping/product_details.php?id=
293>

June 24, 1:00pm - 3:00pm

RFID is another of those technologies that have been slowly, but surely,
moving into libraries. It is already used with regularity in large
stores like WalMart; there is a good chance your local supermarket also
uses RFID. At its simplest, it transmits data, e.g., barcode
information, using radio waves. Libraries primarily use RFID to read the
barcode labels on their materials. We'll figure out what RFID is and how
it works, look at companies and libraries that have implemented, and
find out why others have not taken this step.

Tech Topics: Quick and Easy Open Source Software
<http://www.amigos.org/learning/catalog/shopping/product_details.php?id=
292>

June 30, 1:00pm - 3:00pm

Open source software is getting more and more press . . . and for good
reason. But, unless you're "in the know," you may not know where to
start. Start Here! ;-)  We'll talk about what open source software is
and isn't and, in a practical way, discuss specific software you could
download, install, and use within minutes!

For the most up-to-date training schedule, a complete list of courses,
descriptions, and a convenient online registration form, visit
http://www.amigos.org/learning/calendar/ or contact Chris Brown at
Amigos, 1-800-843-8482, ext. 2829, or brown at amigos.org.