[Web4lib] Make a shelf list searchable online?

Kozlowski,Brendon bkozlowski at sals.edu
Thu Mar 19 09:29:43 EDT 2009

Bruce,

As it sounds like none of you have any programming experience, it's a rather steep road you have ahead of you.  Since you have an ASP.NET enabled server, you'd more than likely want to use what's available to you; to that end, here is a tutorial, and a free eBook from the same author.  The first example shows how to create a browsable interface to a storefront.  The eBook - I'm not entirely sure what it creates, but it goes through the entire process from start to finish.
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/11/13/asp-net-mvc-framework-part-1.aspx <http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/11/13/asp-net-mvc-framework-part-1.aspx>
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2009/03/10/free-asp-net-mvc-ebook-tutorial.aspx <http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2009/03/10/free-asp-net-mvc-ebook-tutorial.aspx>

I don't believe either of the examples provides a search capability, but I'd imagine GoG (Good 'ol Google) would have a nice result list of options for you with regard to "ASP.NET MVC Search".  For a bit more understanding of what MVC is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model-view-controller <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model-view-controller>

Honestly, the examples I gave above may be unnecessarily complicated for the requirements at hand, but I'm unsure where to look for a specific example tailored for your exact needs (plus, I'm not an ASP.NET programmer).

Good luck!

Brendon Kozlowski
Web Administrator
Saratoga Springs Public Library