[Web4lib] Make a shelf list searchable online?

Sharon Nelson slnelson at niu.edu
Wed Mar 18 16:50:31 EDT 2009

Dear Tim,

Thanks very much for posting your clarification -- I am very glad to hear that the OCLC policy should have far less impact on LibraryThing than I thought it would, and my apologies for muddying the waters with those assumptions.

All best,
Sharon

Sharon L. Nelson
Asst. Technical Services & Systems Librarian
David C. Shapiro Memorial Law Library
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
slnelson @ niu . edu / 815-753-2021

>>> Tim Spalding <tim at librarything.com> 3/18/2009 3:27 PM >>>
No, OCLC's policy won't do much to LT. The correct way would be to
export to LT your actual MARC data. The OCLC FAQ says that using a
hosted OPAC is fine.  While I think their ultimate goal is to control
the data as a way of moving people onto WorldCat Local, I don't think
they'll be preventing libraries from using other OPACs anytime soon.

To the larger issue, we haven't signed anything with OCLC, so LT can
never be in violation on its won. OCLC will have to shut LibraryThing
out, library-by-library. Only 3% of our data is from libraries other
than the Library of Congress, much of that from non-OCLC libraries. I
don't see OCLC managing to shut down the LC sharing its data, which is
Congressionally mandated.

Tim

Check out my library at http://www.librarything.com/profile/timspalding