[Web4lib] Query: union search for online books

Roy Tennant tennantr at oclc.org
Mon Mar 16 15:41:22 EDT 2009

Yes, we are working hard to get records for books being digitized by Google,
the Open Content Alliance, and others into WorldCat. And as you have
probably heard, we will be integrating OAIster records as well.

However, for "legacy" materials past cataloging practices can make it rather
difficult to determine whether a URL in an 856 field points to the full-text
of an item or to some lesser portion. My colleagues in OCLC Research
presented a paper on this in 2005
<http://www.oclc.org/research/publications/archive/2005/connaway-acrl.pdf>
and I did some anecdotal research into it at
<http://roytennant.com/proto/856/>. These investigations seem to indicate
that the programming task is less straightforward than Henry Gladney
supposes, although we are talking about a relatively small number of records
compared to the numbers of digitized books that are coming along now from
the mass digitization projects.
Roy Tennant
OCLC Research