[Web4lib] For informal cites to friends and acquaintances in discussing a particular catalog entry, how do you cite, format the URL for a particular Boston Public Library catalog entry?...

Greg Fleming gdf at uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 13 10:10:02 EDT 2009

There is a way to do this without out the session information, etc., but it's nothing that can be done with the URLs that you get from a search. It involves pulling the item's control number from the MARC record and constructing a URL like this:
http://catalog.mbln.org/ipac20/ipac.jsp?&index=bib&term=1850094

Open WorldCat seems a much better option, as Tom suggests.

Here's our documentation, which is behind our firewall, I believe. It's not something we advertise to our patrons, for obvious reasons.
Linking to a Specific Record
You can create a link from any individual bibliographic citation in a bibliography, syllabus, reading list, etc. to the corresponding Full Bibliographic Record display in the Catalog.

Connect to the University of Chicago Catalog ucstaff profile.
Perform a search to find the title to which you want to create a link.
Display the Full Bibliographic Record for the title.
Click the MARC Display link in the box on the left to display the MARC record.
Copy the Bib# that appears on the right of the screen.
Go to the application/document/page where you are creating the link.
Create a URL as follows: http://ipac.lib.uchicago.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?&index=BIB&term=4557482 where the number appearing after "&term=" is the Bib# copied in Step 5.
Repeat as needed.

Greg