[Web4lib] Facebook pages and web opacs?

Michael McEvoy mmcevoy at northvillelibrary.org
Thu Mar 5 14:41:52 EST 2009

Hard to answer this. Facebook just changed the rules on "pages", making them work more as Profiles than as Pages (and thus destroying millions of created Pages all at once).

We'd managed to get our Catalog into our Library's Facebook page just a day before they changed these rules... which resulted in the catalog being buried in "Boxes". Not so happy with Facebook on that decision...

Either way, look into the Profile HTML tool. This allows you to use straight HTML to include any type of HTML code, including code that would search an OPAC. You can currently find ours hidden under Boxes at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northville-MI/Northville-District-Library/47820517709

Thus far, it's not allowing us to move our RSS Calendar feed or the Catalog Search up to the Wall location... hopefully Facebook fixes this bug soon.

You can find a page for Profile HTML at:
http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=6165549526&ref=pr