[Web4lib] Are e-mail discussion lists still relevant?

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue Jun 30 13:56:16 EDT 2009

> I also think many of the list owners are still in place. Once owners
> retire
> and pass on the list management, changes may occur. NexGenLib had that
> happen. Owner stepped down and it was moved to Google Groups because it
> offered the added functionality similar to a forum.

Before we start distinguishing between those list-reading hipsters and their
stick-in-the-mud, change-resistant admins, a couple of years ago I suggested
PUBLIB consider a forum-type technology (the idea was suggested first by a
library director), and there was a very emphatic thumbs-down. Some of the
criticism made sense, such as not having to search another silo. Some of it
was simple resistance to change. In any event, it clearly was not a good
time for that discussion and in retrospect it wasn't that IMPORTANT at the
time (or I would have persisted, since people who are resistant to change
are usually the earliest, loudest voices-at least based on the library
committees I've served on ;) ).

Incidentally, back to AHA Techtalk, not only is it a mailing list, it's
moderated, and it's a single daily digest. Many on this list are very geeky
but they're (apparently) happy to get their AHA fix once a day. There are
various web forums for homebrewing, but Techtalk seems to make everyone
happy. (Though it has a closed archive with very weak search.) So there are
cultural preferences and norms that have nothing to do with being
technically astute.

I'd love to hear about good technical solutions... it helps to be equipped
with good info!

Karen G. Schneider