[Web4lib] Are e-mail discussion lists still relevant?

Margaret Gross margaretgross99 at yahoo.ca
Tue Jun 30 13:27:39 EDT 2009

Hello colleagues

I am primarily a lurker on discussion lists, and thus have learned a great deal from the experiences of others. the suggestion that discussion lists may no longer be relevant is absurd.

I have been a librarian for many years. For me discussion lists have been a source of fresh concepts and ideas, an affirmation of my practices, a steadfast font of solutions to my practical problems, an ideal place to get recommendations based on the experience of other practioners, a sounding board for my ideas. Discussion lists respond to my professional needs.

Blogs tend to be verbose ponderings. RSS feeds are not interactive. Discussion lists are short, factual, and interactive.

The are indeed most relevant!

-----------oooooooo000000oooooooo------------

Margaret Gross, MLS,  Bibl. prof.

Librarian and Information Analyst

Bibliothécaire et Conseillère en information

"Success is a state of mind"

"La réussite est un état d'esprit"

-----------oooooooo000000oooooooo------------