[Web4lib] Are e-mail discussion lists still relevant?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Jun 30 10:10:47 EDT 2009

On 06/30/2009 09:50 AM, Leo Robert Klein wrote:

> Just because it's old doesn't mean it's worn out.  Either that, or
> librarians love their silos.

An e-mail list is still an effective many-to-many forum (or, on most lists, at
least a several-to-many forum with lots of lurkers).  Blogs and tweets are
virtual podiums with owners saying their piece and maybe allowing comments.  I
don't see how either can or should replace the other.  And with the relative
amounts of online bloviation vs. actual discussion, I hope the good lists I'm
on continue for many years to come.

And I do love silos when they're appropriate.  I'm glad I'm not trying to track
any topics in a forum called "Everything About Every Kind of Information
Everywhere".  :-)

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu