[Web4lib] results for Joomla vs. Drupal survey

Nicole Mitchell anmitch at uab.edu
Thu Jun 25 16:05:16 EDT 2009

Posting on behalf of Lisa Ennis.  Please excuse cross listing.

Hey all,

A number of folks asked for the results so there is the abbreviated version. If you want more detail just let me know.

I posted to syslib, lita-l, and web4lib. Eighty-five people responded.

1.      If your library uses a CMS for its website which CMS does it use?
a.      Joomla 27.1 %  or 13
b.      Drupal   72.9% or 35
c.      Other 36
2.      Does your library manage its own servers?
a.      Yes 63.2% or 48
b.      No 36.8% or 28
c.      Other 9 folks
i.      Some mentioned a cooperative agreement with IT and some said ILS yes, Web Server no.
3.      How many people are dedicated to managing the website?
a.      The average was definitely around 2 people.
4.      If you compared Drupal and Joomla what made you choose one over the other?
a.      There ran the gamut but for the folks that chose Drupal the tendency was a perception that the system was more robust and flexible and had a larger user base. Folks also mentioned the ability to define permissions and more add-ons for libraries as a plus.
b.      For the Joomla folks there was a perception that it was easier to use.

I was surprised at the number of responses that said they wrote their own. Other CMS options mentioned were:
dotCMS
SiteCore
Moodle
TextPlatter
Expression Engine
Concrete 5
Plone
DotNetNuke
WorkPress
The Active Network (Ironpoint)
Silver Stripe
Rhythymx
Ektron
eCollege
Collage
WebGUI
EpiServer
SunGard

Lisa Ennis, MS, MA
Systems Librarian / School of Nursing Co-Liaison
Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
(v)205.934.6322  (f)205.934.3545
http://www.uab.edu/lister

"In order to be really good as a librarian, everything counts towards your work, every play you go see,  every concert you hear, every trip you take, everything you read,  everything you know. I don't know of another occupation like that. The more you know, the better you're going to be."
--Allen Smith

Nicole Mitchell, MLIS, MA
Reference Librarian & Optometry Liaison
Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)
1530 3rd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294-0013
205-934-2230 voice
205-975-8313 fax