[Web4lib] streaming educational videos and copyright

Mark Sandford mark.autocat at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:17:14 EDT 2009

Salomeh,

We get a lot of our streaming videos from Films.com (formerly FMG,
formerly Films for the Humanities and Sciences).  They have options
for streaming from their servers and from your own.. though the latter
isn't working yet I believe.

Our head of Media Services also negotiates deals with distributors on
a one by one basis for rights to locally digitize and stream content
for specific high use titles.  As I understand the current state of
things, most (or at least many) distributors of non-feature film type
content are willing to make deals, but they don't have the money,
infrastructure, etc, to deliver content, so they work is left to the
individual institutions--Films.com being the biggest exception.  Most
of them do not yet have a standard policy in place for pricing, etc,
either, so you have the chance to negotiate for the streaming rights.

There's a listserv that deals with these kinds of issues:
videolib at lists.berkeley.edu

And you may want to look at what the CCUMC has to offer: http://www.ccumc.org/

Mark Sandford
Special Formats Cataloger