[Web4lib] #sunyla09 : R. David Lankes keynote speaker

Wilfred Drew DrewW at tc3.edu
Thu Jun 18 11:25:26 EDT 2009

Here are some high points from R. David Lankes, Syracuse University "Ischool," keynote at SUNYLA 2009:

Title: Einstein Goes to a Party:

Einstein story -
*         Journalists equating themselves with the newspaper print format. With their tools not with what they do.
*         Is higher education = physical facilities? or place?
*         books = libraries now silly discussion.
*         Arrogance of thinking Google will put us out of our business.
*         Fear of being put out of business.
*         They do the same things as us (Functional)
*         Google not in information/knowledge business. Google world's largest advertising agency.
*         Amazon is WalMart Online.
*         Users want the best but can't define what is the best. Have to take what they get.
*         Cheetah/dog analogy.  Dog goes fast for a longer period of time.  Cheetah for shorter distances.  Functional equivalents.
*         Functional equivalents- Wikipedia / Encarta (August 2004)
*         Overtime Wikipedia grew but Encarta stayed flat.  Difference is user participation.
*         Users want to shape the world.
*         MySpace/Geocities -(August 2004) - same results happened.
*         Need to define world why we do it not what we do.
*         Google works in connected world. Libraries do bags of words.
*         Google and libraries in different worlds.
*         Need to connect to citations in books.
*         ALA Core Competencies of Librarianship - functional definitions no "why"
*         Need to know why as well as how.
*         Library of Alexandria was a campus not a building.  Library building was actually dormitory of intellectuals.
*         Migration from collection to scholarship
*         from dissemination to action
*         from sharing to action
*         Knowledge in individuals not in books (artifacts).
*         Learning/Reading is conversation with one's self.
*         In Knowledge Business
*         Information is not Knowledge
*         Learning/Change/Knowledge Business - academic libraries/librarians
*         Mission of Librarians: To Improve society through facilitating knowledge creation in their communities.
*         Librarianship is a noble profession/vocation.
*         Every librarian has a story that inspires them.
*         Can better the world through knowledge
*         Need to know why you do something.
*         Based on Conversation Theory-  Conversants, Language,Memory, Agreements
*         Entailment Mesh brings it all together
*         Need a Why view!
*         Learn from Google as tools.
*         Play
*         Take Risks
*         Focus on the mission
*         Librarians are the connective tissue of an organization.
*         Obligation to INNOVATE!
*         Must LEAD
*         Must SERVE
*         We are trusted third party source.
*         How does ___ help me solve my problems?  Apply the tools
*         http://www.DavidLankes.org
*         Webcast on his website.

SUNYLA09<http://technorati.com/tag/SUNYLA09>, R. David Lankes<http://technorati.com/tag/R.%20David%20Lankes>, SUNYLA<http://technorati.com/tag/SUNYLA>, libraries<http://technorati.com/tag/libraries>