[Web4lib] Second Life 101 starting Friday

Lori Bell lbell927 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 1 18:00:18 EDT 2009

Starting Friday - Second Life 101, an introduction to the basics. Please join us.
What is Second Life? Second Life (SL) is a 3D virtual world built and owned by its residents or users. Residents include librarians, educators, businesses, entertainers, etc.
Why should I be interested in Second Life or other virtual worlds?
Among other things, Second Life serves as a platform for immersive learning where you can visit the past (Renaissance Island) or explore futuristic realms and is a place where librarians have the opportunity to visualize and deliver library services in different ways. LIS educators and librarians are already teaching and working in SL.
How do I get started in SL? Go to www.secondlife.com and set up a basic account. You will create an avatar, alternate persona, and be taken to Orientation Island, which will give you an opportunity to learn to navigate in SL and get the feel of a virtual world.
What is Second Life 101? SL 101 is a four week course offered designed to teach you the basics of Second Life beyond what is provided in the orientation. Your instructor, Puglet Dancer, will help you with learning how to better navigate and design your avatar, to use the various screens and tool bars, and for fun she will take you to visit a few interesting virtual places. The course is offered by the Graduate School of Library and Information Science University of Illinois and the Illinois Alliance Library System.
When is it being offered?
Fridays, June 5, 12, 19, 26 from 12:00 - 2:00 pm SL (US Pacific) time
What are the technology requirements?
Participants will need a reliable Internet connection via DSL or cable in addition to the hardware and software system requirements listed at this link http://secondlife.com/support/sysreqs.php  IMPORTANT: Please ensure you can meet these requirements before registering for a course. Check your system against the requirements carefully especially your graphics/video card.
For additional information on SL101 and to register, visit
http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/programs/cpd/VW/SL101.html

Lori Bell
Director of Innovation
Alliance Library System