[Web4lib] Ustream experiences?

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Tue Jul 28 11:57:01 EDT 2009

Mary Beth Faccioli wrote:
> I'm interested to hear from anyone who has used Ustream to broadcast a live event.  I've looked in the Web4Lib archive and found a recommendation for it because it's free, and also an anecdote from someone who had a good experience consuming content from it.  But I'm interested to hear from anyone who has set it up for one's own event, and is willing to share any advice, considerations, best practices etc.  Successes and failures alike are of interest!
I haven't set up an event to be broadcast but have attended a couple of
events live that were broadcasted on uStream and there are couple of
things that I noticed that should be considered.

Camera placement is important.   Make sure that it's far enough away
that the speaker can be seen as well as the screen upon with a
presentation is projected.

Make sure that the speakers use or wear a microphone.  Even if everyone
in the room might be able to hear the speaker without it,  those
watching on ustream.tv might not be able to hear.

The best feature on ustream is the simultaneous chat/twitter
integration.  When I attended a Drupal camp that was being broadcast on
ustream I took it upon myself to monitor the site on my laptop and would
"announce" speakers, "repeat" questions asked by the audience, and field
questions that were asked in the chat/twitter sessions.  Set up a
twitter hashtag and/or twitter user account for the event before hand
and publish them on a site somewhere before the event so that people can
"follow" the chat and/or twitter feed.