[Web4lib] css grid frameworks

Alnisa Allgood alnisa at nonprofit-tech.org
Fri Jul 24 09:06:12 EDT 2009

We use Blueprint CSS http://www.blueprintcss.org/   But don't forget YAML
http://www.yaml.de/en/home.html or Yahoo Grids
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/grids/ to look at as well.
I really, really, like Blueprint CSS. But besides from general framework
love, the next biggest reason why I've never seriously considered 960 Grid,
is exactly that. You can't do grids above 960px. While that's great for most
sites, we've been going larger for the last few years. Typically 1050 or
some variation of that.  Blueprint CSS can naturally handle a 24 grid,
rather than 16; but it can be customized to generate even large grids with
small or large settings. So I could do 10, 15, 20, or 40 px per grid block,
and have say 32 grid blocks. I like that.

I haven't really played much with Yahoo UI Grids, but may in the future.
I've really loved the ease of use for Blueprint CSS, and the number of tools
available to customize it.

Alnisa

Alnisa Allgood
Executive Director