[Web4lib] Integrating with your ILS through Web services and APIs

Breeding, Marshall marshall.breeding at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Jul 22 21:53:28 EDT 2009

I am in the process of writing an issue of Library Technology Reports for ALA TechSource titled "Hype or reality:  Opening up library systems through Web Services and SOA."  Today almost all ILS products make claims regarding offering more openness through APIs, Web services, and through a service-oriented architecture (SOA).  This report aims to look beyond the marketing claims and identify specific types of tasks that can be accomplished beyond the delivered interfaces through programmatic access to the system internals.

As part of the research for this article I am soliciting feedback from libraries that taken advantage of Web Services or other API's in conjunction with their core Integrated Library System (ILS) to meet specific needs.  I'm interested in hearing about how you might have been able to integrate library content and services into applications, extracted data, automated processes or other novel applications.
Please tell me about your experiences with your ILS in regard to the APIs it offers:

 - Do you feel like you can pretty much do anything you want with the system, or do you feel constrained?
 -Are the APIs offered able to address all the data and functionality within the ILS?
 -On the flip side, do you feel like your ILS is too closed?
 -Do you find the APIs offered by the developer of the ILS to be well documented?
 - What programming languages or other tools were you able to use to take advantage of these APIs?
 - What level of programming proficiency is required:  Systems librarian with scripting languages, software development engineer, or something in between?
 - What's on your wish list?  What kind of APIs would you like to see incorporated into your current or next ILS?
 - I'm interested in responses from those that use open source ILS products as well.  Are you able to programmatically interact with the ILS?
 - Do you consider your ILS as embracing a true Service-oriented architecture?  Systems vendors increasingly promote their ILS as SOA.  Can you provide examples where the ILS does or does not exhibit traits of SOA in your environment.

While it's important for the ILS to offer support for standard protocols such as Z39.50, NCIP, and OAI, that's not the core of the issue here.  What I'm looking for are API's that allow the library to get at data and functionality not addressed by these protocols.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences in ILS API's with me for this report.

I appreciate your assistance.

-marshall

Summary excerpt:
Libraries increasingly need to extract data, connect with external systems, and implement functionality not included with the delivered systems.  Rather than being reliant on the products developers for enhancements to meet these needs, libraries increasingly demand the ability to exploit their systems using APIs, Web Services, or other technologies.  Especially in libraries that exist in complex environments where many different systems need to interact, the demand for openness abounds.  As libraries develop their IT infrastructure, it's imperative to understand the extent to which their automation products are able to interoperate and thrive in this growing realm of Web services.  This report aims to assess the current slate of major library automation systems in regard to providing openness through API's, Web Services, and the adoption of SOA.

Marshall Breeding
Director for Innovative Technology and Research
Vanderbilt University Library
Editor, Library Technology Guides
http://www.librarytechnology.org
615-343-6094