[Web4lib] Amazon Deletes Orwell from Kindles

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Tue Jul 21 11:21:56 EDT 2009

A Cease and Desist letter comes from the copyright owner.
An injunction comes from the courts.

The Cease and Desist letter from the copyright owner is
like a timestamp -

From:
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5139862_penalties-violating-copyright-laws.html

" If infringement was willful (e.g., took place after an injunctive order
was issued or "cease and desist" letter sent to an accused infringer by a
copyright holder), willful infringement occurs. Statutory damages of up to
$150,000 may be awarded for willful infringement."

My copyrighted work from 1997 'How to Search the World Wide Web' was
plagiarized and used as a masters thesis in 2000 by a student in the UK. The
author information was switched for that of the violator.  The University
liked it so much, they posted it on their website as an example of some
of the work being done at their institution and a methodology to use for
conducting internet research.

Ironic to post a plagiarized work of someone who searches the internet - of
course, I found it.

I sent them a letter, they removed it and apologized profusely.

Robert L. Balliot
Skype: RBalliot
Bristol, Rhode Island
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com/contact.htm