[Web4lib] Amazon Deletes Orwell from Kindles

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Jul 21 10:58:59 EDT 2009

On 07/21/2009 10:00 AM, Robert L. Balliot wrote:

> It seems that a cease and desist notification would take precedence
> over 'Terms of Service' for customers.  Neither the seller nor
> buyers had a right to the works. The penalties can be very severe.

Since Amazon's own later reaction was, "...in the future we will not remove
books from customers' devices in these circumstances," they clearly have some
legal wiggle room.  Do we know if there was in fact a Cease and Desist order
involved?  The NYTimes only says the publisher "notified" Amazon.

Regardless, Amazon has to acknowledge their responsibilities to their customers
in addtion to their legal responsibilities, especially since they're trying to
build e-books in general and Kindle in particular as a viable consumer
platform.  I would expect the process to be: 1) Amazon clearly explains the
problem to their customers, apologizing and offering reimbursement, credit, or
a discount toward licensed copies; 2) Amazon describes the steps they're taking
to prevent anything similar from happening in the future; 3) Amazon removes
content from people's Kindles.  In other words, "We screwed up, here's how
we're making things as right as possible, and here's why you can trust this
won't happen in the future."

Instead, we have: 1) Amazon removes content; 2) Amazon appears surprised and
confused when people both notice and complain; 3) Amazon scurries for PR cover.
 And this is a company only three months removed from the whole "How come
Amazon deleted sales rankings of all gay-themed books?" fiasco, where a major
contributing factor was Amazon's lack of transparency about what really
happened.  If they haven't learned the value of honest communication in
customer relationships, what's going to do it for them?

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu