[Web4lib] Amazon Deletes Orwell from Kindles

Lloyd Davidson ldavids at northwestern.edu
Fri Jul 17 22:14:57 EDT 2009

Just because a book appears on Project Gutenberg doesn't mean it's
copyright free, it simply means no one has bothered to send them a
Cease and Desist order, probably because they are such an
insignificant player in the online publishing world.   Now that
you've made it public that they have copies of such copyrighted
works, perhaps publishers will begin to pay more attention to their
online content.

I have a Kindle and rather enjoy it.  It's not perfect, and new
technologies are coming along quickly that will render this
particular reader outdated, but for now it works just fine.  I find
the Kindle particularly useful when traveling or when I'm spending
some time in a hospital, as I will be doing next month and as I did
in June (both relatively minor, routine operations, but ones that
require my spending a week or more in rehab while first my hip and
now my leg mend).   The Kindle is compact, rugged, and easy to use.
And when I fall asleep reading it, I don't have to worry about
leaving it on as it  turns off every time you turn a page, as long as
the wireless connection isn't on.  It lasts for over a week between
charges, especially since I usually fall asleep relatively quickly
after I lie down.  Most of the books I buy for it are either free or
cost about 3 or 4 dollars, a reasonable price for convenience and
instantaneous online access to other titles.

L.

Lloyd Davidson