[Web4lib] Use of LCSH RDF data

Rolf Kwakkelaar r.kwakkelaar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 09:25:11 EDT 2009

A colleague alerted me in May to the fact that LoC has made LCSH available
for download in RDF/Triples format. This is a great gift to the community.

As a personal project I have looked at use of the text data for automated
indexing purposes. The result is a web application that provided with input
text ( paragraph, abstract or full text ) using keyword matching and
considering keyword frequency proximity, completeness, porter stemming,
will score matching LCSH subject headings.

This is very much an experiment, but I would be keen on getting any feedback
of usefulness of such approach as a cataloging aid, or as complementary
tool for automated batch indexing. The application is web based and
available at : http://ueno.homelinux.net:88/index/loc.html  Code is based on
MySQL, Perl, with use of Ajax, and I am perfectly willing to make it
available to anyone who is interested ( non-commercial )

Rolf Kwakkelaar
r.kwakkelaar at gmail.com