[Web4lib] Are e-mail discussion lists still relevant?

Walt Crawford waltcrawford at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 13:25:43 EDT 2009

That's true--but it's also true of blogs, fora, ejournals, what have you.

PACS-L was a pioneer, as was PACS Review. PACS Review formally died several
years after it actually died; so far, the list continues in a moribund
state. PACS Review's death doesn't mean ejournals are dead; it means that
particular ejournal had run its course.

I sometimes have to remember that, though the fora/forums I'm theoretically
in charge of aren't really happening and while I find that many
library-related forums don't do very well, that's all--at best--anecdata,
anecdotes pretending to be data: It doesn't mean forums don't work
beautifully elsewhere. Ditto blogs. Ditto lists. Ditto wikis--where a bunch
of library-related ones never did draw multiple authors, but a few work
beautifully.

-walt crawford-