[Web4lib] Are e-mail discussion lists still relevant?

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 2 07:34:26 EDT 2009

Roy Tennant wrote:
> I'm not sure where this idea that email discussion lists are "silos" any
> more than blogs, wikis, Twitter, etc.
I would argue that email discussion lists are much less like "silos"
than blogs, wikis, web forums.   I am on lots of different email lists
but, for all of them, I only need to go to one place to read or
participate in them;  my email application.   I don't need to remember
to go a bunch of different web sites to see if there any new content.
New messages from all the different topics that I'm interested in are
pushed to one place for me to read.