[Web4lib] Wimba In Libraries?

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Sat Jan 31 13:12:23 EST 2009

Colleagues/

On Thursday January 29 2009, I attended presentation about Wimba and its
various features, functionalities, and uses, sponsored by Center for
Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT):

Adding Virtual Collaboration to Your Courses Using Wimba Classroom and
Wimba Voice Tools

Wimba Voice is a web-based voice solution that facilitates and promotes
vocal instruction, collaboration, coaching, and assessment. Wimba
Classroom is currently being pilot tested for potential use by ISU
instructors. All Wimba tools are fully integrated with the ISU WebCT [
http://www.celt.iastate.edu/events/homepage.html ] .

I Was Quite Impressed Not Only By The Reps But With The Wimba Technology
Itself

<QUOTE>

Wimba is a leading provider of collaborative learning software solutions
and services to the Further/Higher Education and K-12 markets. Wimba's
Publishing Services and Solutions are widely adopted in academic
publishing.

>From its inception almost a decade ago, Wimba has been solely focused on
education and committed to harnessing the most powerful element of
teaching-the human element-so that facial expressions, vocal
intonations, hand gesticulation, real-time discussion, creativity and
passion can be conveyed in the on-line learning environment.

The Wimba Collaboration Suite(tm) of products, which includes - the
Wimba Classroom(tm) virtual learning environment, the Wimba Pronto(tm)
academic messaging platform, the Wimba Voice(tm) audio tool, and the
Wimba Create(tm) content authoring tool -enables institutions to bridge
the gap between technology and pedagogy by supplementing course
management systems with the proven disciplines of in-person learning
environments.

Wimba's customers include hundreds of secondary, higher and further
education institutions from around the world. Our development efforts
center on empowering and equipping the teachers and students of these
institutions with real solutions for teaching and learning in the 21st
Century.

</QUOTE>

I Am Greatly Interested In Learning Of Any And All Libraries That Are
Currently Using Wimba (For Any And All Services).

I Have Created A Facebook Group To Provide A Forum In Which Current
Users As Well As Interested Individuals Can Discuss Wimba And Its Actual
And Potential Uses.

The Global Facebook Group Can Be Joined At

[ http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=60516806184 ]

For additional information about Wimba with appropriate links to The
Demo, Free Past/Present/Future Webinars , Products/Services,  Customers,
and EverythingElseWimba,  please visit

[ http://tinyurl.com/d3d2kh  ]

Regards,

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come / Victor
Hugo

[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows

[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/  ]