[Web4lib] managing digital resources

Gilman, Mark mark.gilman at dallaslibrary.org
Fri Jan 16 13:47:45 EST 2009

Joe,

Another option, which would be relatively quick and easy:

1) Install Joomla
2) Install a document management extesion like

DocMan
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/82/details

or

Remository
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/directory-&-documentation/downlo
ads/83/details

Let Joomla handle the user authentication and set it so that folks can't
see the menu link to the document store unless they are logged in. The
plugins let you add all kinds of
metadata, create categories, etc. In most situations, someone would need
to log in to the back end of Joomla to "publish" any news documents that
have been uploaded by
your users, but you could create those roles for others, so that burden
would not fall on you exclusively. I'm not sure how well this solution
would scale if you were to grow the collection dramatically, but my
sense is that 3,000 or so documents should be okay. Perhaps others could
comment on this idea if there are obvious flaws.

I'm pretty sure that DocMan used to exist as a standalone product, and
not just a Joomla extension, but it seems to have disappeared in that
format. (I, at least, have been unable to find it on SourceForge or
elsewhere.)

Regards,
Mark Gilman

Municipal Reference Librarian / Web Design Team
Urban Information Center
Dallas Public Library
1515 Young St., 6th floor.
Dallas, TX 75201