[Web4lib] Loaning laptops

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Sat Jan 10 11:33:45 EST 2009

Phillip Whitford wrote:
>  We have been loaning laptops out for 4 or 5 years now. Generally they
> are not allowed to leave the building. We check them out via our ILS
> just like any other materials. Works fine.
We use our ILS and have a page on our library web site which displays
laptop availability.   Patrons can go to the page and see if any laptops
are available for check-out, and if not, when the next one will become
available.

I'm working on something that will loosely couple the web site with a
service which managed laptop availabiilty information (right now to too
tightly coupled).  It is part of a system which will essentially manage
any library asset which can be catalogued (i.e. group/individual study
rooms).  The goal is to provide a university wide service which can be
called from the central library web  site as well as any  other unit
libary websites and can support multiple views such that the equipment
availability information can be presented on a web site or one of our
display kiosks.  The libary assets service can be integrated with other
services such that a patron could check if a laptop is available in the
library that they are in, and if not, it could tell them that there
might be laptops (or any other library asset) available in one of the
other nearby libraries.

I actually submitted a proposal on this for the upcoming Code4Lib
conference but it didn't get enough votes.