[Web4lib] MESUR For Measure: MEtrics from Scholarly Usage of Resources

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Wed Jan 7 15:27:46 EST 2009

Colleagues/

Among the projects featured in a previous blog posting in my Scholarship
2.0 blog was the MESUR project.  Recently I blogged a full profile of
MESUR that includes a project description:

"The project's major objective is enriching the toolkit used for the
assessment of the impact of scholarly communication items, and hence of
scholars, with metrics that derive from usage data. The project has
created a semantic model of the scholarly communication process, and an
associated large-scale semantic store that relates a range of
bibliographic, citation and usage data obtained from a variety of
sources.

After mapping the structure of the scholarly community on the basis of
the established reference data set, MESUR will conduct an investigation
into the definition and validation of a range of usage-based metrics.
The defined metrics will be cross-validated, resulting in the
formulation of guidelines and recommendations.

MESUR Database

The MESUR data base now contains 1B usage events (2002-2007) obtained
from 6 significant publishers, 4 large institutional consortia and 4
significant aggregators! The collected usage data spans more than
100,000 serials (including newspapers, magazines, etc.) and is related
to journal citation data that spans about 10,000 journals and nearly 10
years (1996-2006). In addition we have obtained significant
publisher-provided COUNTER usage reports that span nearly 2000
institutions worldwide."

[more]

as well as links to Quick Facts, Documentation, and Publications, and
the original blog posting about MESUR and two other initiatives [Final
Impact: What Factors Really Matter?] ('Related')

The full description as well as links to the aforementioned resources
are available at

[ http://tinyurl.com/a3v7q3 ]

Enjoy!

/Gerry

 Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu <mailto:gerrymck at iastate.edu>

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come / Victor
Hugo

[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490
<http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490>  ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows

[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/
<http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/>  ]