[Web4lib] ISU Library Spring Seminar: Not Just Facebook: Niche Social Network Sites

McKiernan, Gerard [LIB] gerrymck at iastate.edu
Sat Feb 14 14:10:57 EST 2009

Friends/

Later this month. I will give the first presentation in our 2009 Spring
Library Seminar series here at Iowa State University:

Not Just Facebook: Niche Social Network Sites

Gerry McKiernan, Associate Professor, Science & Technology Department,
ISU Library

Wednesday, February 25, 3:15-4:30, Parks Library 192

"While Facebook and MySpace are among the better-known general online
social networks, there are an ever-increasing number of online networks
that have emerged for and within a wide variety of groups. Among many
others, these include networks for academe and education, people of
color, boomers, businesses, LGBT groups, religious communities, and
researchers and scholars. This presentation offers an overview of these
on other niche online networks and examines the potential benefit they
may offer to colleges and universities and their communities."

[ http://www.lib.iastate.edu/class/worktutor/workshops.html ]

In addition to the communities noted above, I am also greatly interested
in learning of other communities (with a social network presence) that
are or could be of particular interest to colleges or universities, e.g.
alumni, along with specific examples.

I am also interested in learning of specific niche communities that you
find of significant professional value.

Please post the names/sites of these Niche Communities and the
particular professional benefits that you have gained (or believe can be
gained) from membership in Any and All niche social networks as a
Comment on the associated posting available at

[ http://tinyurl.com/anj8zu ]

BTW: This presentation will be an abridged and modified version of my
Internet Librarian 2008 pre-conference workshop presentation _Not Just
Facebook: Online Social Networks For Libraries_.

[
http://nichesocialnetworksites.blogspot.com/2008/11/not-just-facebook-on
line-social.html ]

Thanks!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan

Associate Professor

Science and Technology Librarian

Iowa State University Library

Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

There is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come / Victor
Hugo

[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490  ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows

[ http://alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/  ]