[Web4lib] Who does your library follow on Twitter?

Toby Greenwalt theanalogdivide at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 16:09:26 EST 2009

I monitor the Twitter account for Skokie Public Library (
http://www.twitter.com/skokielibrary), and I've got a few rules that I try
to keep in mind as I keep the number of followers in line.

Who can follow me: I have no restrictions as to who can follow me. The
Library's Twitter followers generally consist of:
a) local patrons;
b) local news organizations;
c) other libraries;
d) other librarians;
e) authors, publishers, and vendors;
and f) general spammers.

I'm more than willing to have as many people follow me as possible, as it
fulfills one mission of Twitter: to provide an quick and easy means to push
Library information to our patrons, friends, and colleagues. The more people
we have following us, the more likely it is people will see our tweets, and
possibly even retweet them to an even greater audience.

I'm much more selective in who I choose to follow with my Twitter account.
The people I follow back (or seek out and follow) all pretty much fall into
the first two categories. In doing so, I can strike a balance between the
need to push content out to as many people as possible, while making sure
all the patron needs within my immediate geographic area don't get lost in a
sea of tweets.

I'd also recommend using search tools like Twitter Search (
http://search.twitter.com), Tweet Scan (www.tweetscan.com), and Twingly (
www.twingly.com) to monitor topics of local interest and to identify new
users. By doing this, I've had some good luck identifying new patron needs,
and sparking some very interesting conversations.

Hope this helps.

Toby Greenwalt
Virtual Services Coordinator
Skokie Public Library