[Web4lib] Position Announcement> E-Learning Librarian, Univ. WI - La Crosse

Chilton Galadriel chilton.gala at uwlax.edu
Mon Dec 21 13:05:19 EST 2009

** Cross Posted **

E-LEARNING LIBRARIAN

Murphy Library

University of Wisconsin - La Crosse

POSITION:  Seeking a dynamic, student-centered librarian to work in a
team-orientated library environment.  The E-Learning Librarian supports
student learning across disciplines by working with UW-L faculty/staff
to facilitate the use of curriculum-specific information resources,
provide access to course-specific online materials in course delivery
systems and other online environments, develop and deliver electronic
learning objects that meet specific faculty/staff and student
information literacy needs, and promote use of curriculum-based
information resources.  This librarian will also participate in
reference, information literacy instruction, collection development,
collegial governance, and library committees as well as campus and
professional activities. The library recognizes and values diversity in
its faculty, staff, and students. We seek a colleague who shares the
library's commitment to diversity and who will be a dedicated librarian
and mentor for students with diverse backgrounds, preparation, and
career goals.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:  ALA accredited MLS; experience with web
development applications and instructional technologies; familiarity
with the concepts, goals, and methods of information literacy;
demonstrated understanding of current research on teaching and learning
in higher education; demonstrated ability to communicate and work
effectively in an academic setting; and demonstrated skill using
reference resources.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:  Professional academic library experience.

ENVIRONMENT:  UW-La Crosse is known for its highly ranked academic
programs.  La Crosse is famous for its exceptional natural beauty.  The
city (metropolitan population 100,000) is located on the east bank of
the Mississippi River below towering bluffs.  Abundant water and
woodlands provide year-round recreation sites for skiing, hunting,
camping, and other outdoor activities.  La Crosse is also home to two
other colleges, a symphony orchestra, excellent theatrical and cultural
events, and superb health care facilities.

SALARY AND RANK:  Competitive salary for 9-month tenure track position
at the rank of Assistant Professor.  An approximate 40% summer contract
also is available.

STARTING DATE:  August 30, 2010

APPLICATION PROCEDURE:  Electronic submission of application materials
is required.  For additional information about this Faculty position and
to apply, please visit https://employment.uwlax.edu. First review begins
February 19, 2010; this position is open until filled.

Founded in 1909, UW-L is one of 11, four-year institutions in the
University of Wisconsin System with approximately 9,000 students.  UW-L
offers a wide array of undergraduate programs and a variety of graduate
programs in three colleges:  Liberal Studies (including the Schools of
Education and Arts & Communication); Science and Health; and Business
Administration.  The university is consistently rated first among the UW
System comprehensives in terms of first year student ACT scores, class
rankings and retention rates.

We are an inclusive learning community that values the varying
perspectives that come with diverse faculty, staff and student
populations.  We strongly encourage our students to broaden their
perspectives through international experiences and diversity-related
courses and programming, and support faculty and staff in international
teaching, research, and service.

We are proud of our diversity and believe students, faculty, and staff
all are enriched by our exposure to differing ideas, opinions and
cultures.  We strive to be a leader in Wisconsin's movement toward
increased diversity and inclusiveness.  For example, we routinely assess
the campus climate and have conducted an equity study to explore how
diverse students, faculty, and staff experience UW-L.  We believe that
employees from diverse backgrounds are critical to achieving excellence
as a nationally recognized institution of higher education.  We seek to
recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse
candidate pool.  We strongly encourage applications from persons with
diverse backgrounds and experiences.

The city of La Crosse combines the scenic beauty of the Mississippi
River and towering bluffs with a diversified economy and educated
populace.  Three colleges, two world-class medical institutions, the La
Crosse Symphony Orchestra, a restored nineteenth century downtown
business district, and a number of galleries and art centers have made
La Crosse a regional center for culture, entertainment, medical care,
shopping, sports and four season recreation.

UW-L is an AA/EEO employer. If you have a special need/accommodation to
aid your participation in our hiring process, please contact the library
department chair to make appropriate arrangements.

Employment will require a criminal background check.  A pending criminal
charge or conviction will not necessarily disqualify an applicant. In
compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, UW-La Crosse does not
discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record.

Galadriel Chilton

Electronic Resources Librarian

Murphy Library

University of Wisconsin - La Crosse