[Web4lib] Library website locations and hours

Bret Parker Bret.Parker at ci.stockton.ca.us
Thu Dec 17 15:36:40 EST 2009

Aim for flexibility of display, breaking information into digestible chunks.  What best serves the user? Is it location?Hours? The focus of the collection and staff expertise? or some combination? Whatever it is, represent those aspects of the library finding page, in a table. I judged that for patrons of our library, location and hours were key.

http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us/hours/
(Background colors loosely represent library branches related by a common city, similar size, or service area -- perhaps, up for revision.)

A drop down arrow and "Go" button allow selection of a sort by library branch name or sort by city.  Details about the branch are accessible by a click on the branch name.  Having a separate page for each branch increases findability. Google searches on branch library names are a common entry point to the library website.

Bret Parker
Senior Systems Analyst

Mailing Address:
Information Technology
Administrative Services
City of Stockton
425 N. El Dorado St
Stockton, CA 95202

bret.parker at ci.stockton.ca.us

http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us
http://www.stocktongov.com

"Excellence encourages one about life generally; it shows the spiritual wealth of the world." -- George Eliot

>>> Yitzchak Schaffer <yitzchak.schaffer at gmx.com> 12/17/2009 9:01 AM >>>
Hello all,

I am working on our new locations & hours pages in our website.  Has
anyone noticed/created any designs out there that are particularly
effective/attractive?  I am going to start looking now, and will plan on
adding my findings to this thread.

Thanks!

--
Yitzchak Schaffer