[Web4lib] Mechanism for testing off-campus access from on-campus?

Riesner, Giles GRIESNER at ccbcmd.edu
Wed Aug 19 12:35:43 EDT 2009

We also use WAM from III instead of EZ proxy and have ourselves set to be forced to authenticate.
(our IP addresses are dynamic with about a 1-year lease so they are basically nearly static.)

I also have TORBUTTON installed in my copy of Firefox. If I have TOR enabled I get an outside IP
address from TOR that's different from the College's NAT range, while IE maintains it's normal NAT'd address.
(This means I could essentially test internally and externally at the same time, by using different browsers.)

I have in the past plugged a laptop into one of our Fax machine jacks (since most of the phone jacks here
are digital) and dialed out on a number I have personal access to as well.

And, of course, we can try from home -- but that means remembering (plus working from home, which we don't
frequently do.)

So we've tried a mix of things.  For the Record, TOR does slow things down a bit. I imagine any outside
proxy might.

Giles W. Riesner, Jr. | Library Tech Support/Library System Administrator
The Community College of Baltimore County | 800 South Rolling Road | Catonsville, MD 21228 USA
Phone: 1-443-840-4245  |  Fax: 1-443-840-4606  |  E-Mail: griesner at ccbcmd.edu
CCBC. The incredible value of education.