[Web4lib] Mechanism for testing off-campus access from on-campus?

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Aug 19 10:44:26 EDT 2009

I have found, accidentally, that you can use Opera 10.  If you turn on the
turbo feature you will be using Opera's proxy server which will be seen as the
the remote IP .  I found this while trying to trouble shoot why a user's
computer would always go to UNC Chapel Hill proxy server each time the link
involved ebscohost descirbe in the next paragraph.

Also, another I found by accident, if you have the Zotero addon in firefox then
you should be able to set a proxy in Zotero preferences.  I found this on a
machine where the user had used it in a workshop, I think related to medical
databases, and evertime she clicked on a link that involved ebscohost she
would be taken to UNC Chapel Hill proxy server.  Their proxy doesn't
authenticate us here at UNC at Tweetsie ;-)

Thomas

On Thursday 13 August 2009 08:56:14 Jim Coble wrote:
> We currently use EZProxy to provide off-campus access to licensed
> electronic resources to Duke faculty, staff, and students.  Library staff
> on campus are not, however, able to test or troubleshoot EZProxy settings
> since they are, well, on campus and have a Duke IP address.  I'm interested
> to know if / how other libraries have addressed this issue.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Jim
>
> =================================
> Jim Coble
> Head, Core Services, IT
> Perkins Library
> Email: jim.coble at duke.edu
> Voice: 919-660-5974  Fax: 919-668-2578
> Box 90196, Duke University
> Durham, NC 27708-0196

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst            P O Box 32026
University Library                                Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/