[Web4lib] Mechanism for testing off-campus access from on-campus?

Karen Merguerian nls2 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 19 00:39:54 EDT 2009

We use WAM from iii instead of ezproxy, but I think the basic idea is the same.

To test, I turn off the wireless switch on a laptop, unplug the network cable if one is plugged in, and connect my cell phone to my laptop with a usb cable.  Then I connect to the internet using my cell phone as a modem.  I'm not on the campus network that way, so I think I'm pretty close to a typical end-user experience.

For this to work, you'll need to install some software on your laptop depending on what kind of phone you have, and I think you also need a data plan on the phone.

Sometimes I don't have the right usb cable around.  Then I use the low-tech method: I call my mom and ask her to try!
Karen Merguerian
Northeastern University Libraries