[Web4lib] link checkers

Robin robin at stcharleslibrary.org
Tue Aug 18 14:45:28 EDT 2009

Hello,

*** (Cross-posted for maximum exposure to expertise - please forgive supplication) ***

A few weeks ago I asked for recommendations for a link checker to replace the one that had become too expensive for us to use any longer. To my surprise all the several replies I received unanimously recommended the free Xenu tool - probably the first time I've never had a range of products recommended.

I was happy about that, including the free part, until my webmaster told me A) she doesn't like it and B) it doesn't do things she needs. To quote from her email:

"So far I am not very impressed by Xenu. It took 2 hours to run the link checker on the entire site last night but then couldn't build a report.

I've broken it down and run JUST the files under tp://www.stcharleslibrary.org/research/ this morning so that I could get report. The accuracy of the report seems to be 1 in 30 or less. Because of this inaccuracy, I've spend 3 hours this morning just going through the first quarter of the report on research pages. (And none of the other directories.)"

So, I'm now looking for further recommendations, probably for not-free software. Cost is still an issue - we can't afford $2K +  a year - but it does seem as though we'll have to pay for what we get.

Any recommendations for very robust low-cost link checkers will be gratefully received and evaluated. TIA for any help you can offer.

Robin.

Robin Boulton
IT Manager
St. Charles Public Library District