[Web4lib] Christian Science Monitor editorial about Google Books project

Chris Strauber cstrauber at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 12:09:24 EDT 2009

Actually I agree: the right way to settle the orphan works problem is
to write a law which doesn't require anyone else who wants to follow
in Google's footsteps to get sued and settle individually with every
publisher on the planet. I don't like the precedent, but am impressed
with the chutzpah and pragmatism of Google in realizing that just
doing it and demonstrating there was money to be made would encourage
publishers to settle.

As a practical matter, however, the theoretical ability for other
vendors to do what Chadwyck-Healey did with EEBO has not notably
affected pricing for it, or made a comparably-sized body of texts
available.

Chris Strauber