[Web4lib] Re: Google News Timeline

Peter Noerr pnoerr at museglobal.com
Fri Apr 24 16:31:50 EDT 2009

Except, of course, your second example is a false hit, and thus doesn't fit Katherine's (or your) criterion of all being relevant. (And you are postulating an interestingly sophisticated search engine to retrieve the second record from the query!)

We could argue about the silliness of the different relevance algorithms, and virtually all of them break down when the calculated relevance of a record is 100% or 0% - as happens an awful lot of the time.

My question was really; If relevance ranked results are silly, what is a not silly display ranking? And why is it not silly?

In this very specific case (all articles from a journal issue) there is a possible canonical order in the page numbers as well as sequences for the title and author rankings. Do any of these make any more sense than a relevance order? And is the order only "non-silly" when seen in the context of the user's use of them?

Peter