[Web4lib] TechSoup Refurbished Computers?

Michael J. Dargan dargan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 23:37:25 EDT 2009

Thomas--

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Thomas Edelblute
<TEdelblute at anaheim.net>wrote:

> Once upon a time I had a white paper from Intel that showed hardware
> failure rate spiking upward after the fourth year.  My fourth year
> hard-drive and LCD monitor failure rate has been significant and has cost me
> a lot of money over the past year.   One of our support contractors that we
> have a master agreement with told me they recently had the opportunity to
> take apart a couple of LCD monitors that failed and it looks like there are
> two capacitors in the things that just gave out.
>
> This is my long winded way of saying that I am suspicious of anything that
> is not new.  Although 7% of all electronics fail out of the box, so being
> new is not a guarantee of anything either.

I've bought about 500 workstations, a dozen servers, and maybe 50 notebooks
since 1995 and don't recall any DOAs.  Though I did have a bunch of 53 GW2K
Profile 5Ms lose practically every one of their Maxtor HDs under warranty.
 I'm getting so I can change them (for Wester Digitals) in my sleep!

> Good luck.  I hope that whatever you do will work out for you.

I'm probably too chicken to buy the TechSoup boxes.  The Dell Refurbished
sounds better---I'd hate to get some odd-ball stuff--I'm bigoted against
small form boxes--they seem to run run hot and die young.

--mike