[Web4lib] re: Getting Rid of IE 6

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Sat Apr 11 23:39:03 EDT 2009

> I'd like to second Lisa's perspective. Firefox's user agent add-on is a direct response to exactly this kind of ostensibly well-intended but overly paternalistic design. Just because you don't support a browser doesn't mean your site might not be at least functional *enough* on that browser for a user's purpose.

Well, it depends. Most library websites are basically "brochures," not
complex web aps, but OPACs are—or at least should be—more ap-like.
Interactive web aps. bump up against IE6 limitations all the time.
There aren't many library programmers as competent as the GMail team,
but GMail didn't start working with IE6 until 2007, three years after
the product was created, and it required losing functionality and
pushing Microsoft to release a JavaScript patch—not something most
libraries can do.

Tim